Sunday, December 24, 2023

A Tiny Camp Kreitzer Christmas

Our oldest daughter gave us a delightful little book for Christmas titled Tiny Ridge with almost no words, just photos.  The brief introduction reads:

Deep in the mountains of North Carolina, my daughter Josephine and I imagined a tiny world coexisting just under our feet. All of these images were created in-camera (with lots of balancing and not Photoshop alterations.) The series is designed to reflect how our organic farm and the residents of Tiny Ridge wake up over the seasons.

Do yourself a favor and visit the author/photographer's page to see the incredibly delightful and creative photos. Then let your imagination run rampant! 

Have you ever imagined yourself climbing a daffodil stalk and taking a nap in its sunny cup? That's what I'm going to do when Spring arrives. But I'm not waiting until Spring. I decided to imagine myself climbing up the Christmas tree. Want to join me in my adventure?

I began looking for a place to start the climb. Hmm....all these packages are pretty smooth. Can I find a place where I can reach the lowest branches? Yes! And so I took the first steps on a journey to climb to the top and meet the angel on top of the Christmas tree. Don't ask me how she got there.


Like Alice who met many interesting creatures in Wonderland, I stop along the way to visit some of the Christmas tree residents. One of the first is a little angel who encourages me along the way as I begin my journey at the bottom of the tree.

I love birds and there are many on the tree who I will stop to admire and talk to. The dove becomes a fast friend who will do me a big favor later.


The little mice are good long-time friends as well. I made them for the tree many years ago. They wake up from their walnut shell beds to say hello and point the easiest route to the top of the tree. Thank you, little friends.


I stop to say a prayer to Our Lady of Guadalupe and have a chat with Juan Diego. I have shrunk to his size so we visit face to face, eye to eye. He was a gift from a friend and reminds me of her whenever I hang him on the tree. Thank you, Mary Kay!


Christmas is a great time for memories. Many of our ornaments were gifts: some from our children, some from other relatives and friends, some from my students. I stop to say a prayer for my Aunt Dorothy as I look at the Santa she sent in her Christmas card one year. May you rest in peace, dear Aunt Dorothy. Whenever I think of you, I hear your infectious laugh and think of all the beautiful gifts you knitted or crocheted. 

                                               

Ever since we became beekeepers, our children and friends give us bee themed gifts including this sweet ornament. I'm always careful to avoid their stings since I get a big reaction, but I love their sweet golden gift. Hello girls! Thank you for all the work you do to make the honey that sweetens my tea!

                            

This funny fellow graced a Christmas present many years ago from one of our children to Daddy. Don't ask me why; I can't remember. But he is the one ornament that Larry added to the tree. Poor grouch certainly needs cheering up! Did someone steal your bananas?

                      

Goodness, what a climb! I stop to visit with the cardinals and use the daisy chain (an old necklace) as a climbing rope to the next level. Will I ever reach the top?



Phew! Yes, I finally make it. But wait! Something (or someone) is missing! What to do?

                   

I call on my friend the dove to help. And off we go to find the one person I absolutely must have to accompany me at Christmas festivities! Off we go.....

                  

Ah...that's better. My Christmas sweetheart who has accompanied me for 54 Christmas Masses and celebrations has arrived. Joy to the world!

                   

And now the dear angel takes us on the final leg of our journey as she sings, "Hosannah in the highest, blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the Lord."


These little dolls who represent us can't bend the knee, but you can be sure Larry and I will kneel at the crib (Larry with difficulty) praising and adoring the newborn king!

May you have the holiest and happiest of Christmases. I will be remembering all my blog readers at Christmas Mass. Thank you for your kindness, especially your prayers, over the years. May God reward you abundantly, full measure poured into your lap and spilling over.  God bless us, every one! 


No comments: