Friday, April 5, 2013

Visiting the Bee Yard

It was sunshiny and warm this morning so we took a little drive over to our friend's bee yard to see if the critters were flying. They were and the weather the rest of the week is supposed to be good, so we're hoping things are finally looking up for the bee community. I had on a black jacket which I took off before we walked over to the hives. Bees don't like black and I didn't want to be mistaken for a bear about to attack the hives. I had on a multi-colored shirt with some black and even with my jacket off I was getting a little more attention than I'd like. We didn't stay long. There are about 15 or 20 hives in his yard and several showed a lot of activity although there were also a number that were clearly without colonies. Next week it's hive painting time with one of the grandkids and then we'll be getting the frames ready, filling them with sheets of foundation. Then it's just a question of getting our bees and putting them to work.

No comments: