Monday, May 23, 2022

Not Doing a Good Job Keeping Track of Bee Management!

 I'm not doing a very good job keeping track of our bee management. I'll try to catch up.

April 30th: Larry and Chris were working on the chicken house so I worked the bees by myself. I did another split from Wheeling because that hive is still so strong. They should have a laying queen since it's been 24 days since the split. Next warm, sunny day I'll check. If they don't have a laying queen we'll add a frame with eggs.

May 12th: Bee check. Cleveland had lots of ants. We washed them out. Another hive had ants as well, but I can't remember which There was a lot of drone brood in Morgantown so we took some of it out and also added another box to discourage swarming. Everything looked pretty good. Lots of nectar and pollen coming in.

We did another check but I don't remember the date. We think that Cleveland swarmed since there seemed to be a lot fewer bees. But if that's the case they don't have a queen and need to rear another. So we'll need to keep watch and figure out what's going on there. 

I need to make sure I record data the same day as inspections because I can't remember what I had for breakfast, much less the detail about five hives. If I wait a few days I'm lost!

No comments: