Monday, July 29, 2019

We Love Our Sunday Brunch!

Almost every Sunday we have brunch with our local daughter and her family. Often others join us for the fun. My sister-in-law comes sometimes and a young friend with her daughter and foster children. Lately, I've been thinking of ways to make it particularly special. A few weeks ago we had a "jungle brunch." I set the table with jungle animals and cheetah placemats. Actually, it was the placemats, which I picked up at a consignment store that gave me the idea. The kids all shared their favorite jungle animals and told us something about them. I chose a giraffe.

We saw a baby giraffe at the zoo a number of years ago and watched the video of the birth. Wow! Poor baby dropped onto the floor. I guess that's kind of like a doctor who gave babies a smack on the bottom to get them taking a deep breath. I'm glad they don't do that any more. Poor babies. What a welcome!

Yesterday, our daughter's two youngest who often stay with us while the rest go to Mass, dressed up as a tiger and a bunny. What fun it was to see them romping around hopping and growling. Wish I'd remembered those costumes the day of the jungle brunch. Do bunnies live in the jungle?

At any rate, I am now thinking of ideas for future brunches: dress up as your favorite fictional character? Who am I? Just for fun? Pajama party?

If you are going to be in Woodstock on a Sunday, come join us. I'm serious. If it isn't convenient I'll tell you so, but we love company. My husband's physical therapist told him he met someone at the local brewery who invited him to "come to Grandma's for waffles." He thought it was a restaurant. Turned out it really was the fella's grandmother. Every Sunday she makes waffles for whoever turns up for food and fellowship. I love that idea! So come to this grandma's for brunch and I promise you won't go away hungry. Sunday should be a day different from the rest of the week, to take a break from work and chores and celebrate what is most important in life: God first and family next. Jesus is always the invisible guest at our table and most welcome. But we'd welcome your presence as well!

Oh, and by the way -- bunnies DO live in the jungle.

1 comment:

ProLIFEmommy said...

Couldn’t sleep— so *really been enjoying reading your blog! LOVE THIS, MaryAnn!! I’m going to do this with my kids who I just KNOW will love this too!! THANK YOU & GOD BLESS YOU!!!