Friday, September 29, 2017

When a Thrifty Cook Gets Started, Results Can Be Interesting!

Well the apples just keep coming and coming and I'm determined to use them. Since one shelf in the freezer is already over half full with frozen apple sauce, I've been trying make (or bake) some different kinds of goodies.

Since I also had a blender full of bread bits and several biscuits (from Cracker Barrel) and some cinnamon bread in the freezer (a delicious yeast bread from a friend), I decided to make Apple Brown Betty. As I broke up the bread and read the recipe, I decided some of my bread was too hard for a good result.


What to do? Well, soften it of course. But how? (think...think...light bulb!) By turning the Brown Betty into more of an apple bread pudding. And that's what I did.

Here's the recipe:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Break up bread into pieces to make 4 cups. Peel, core, and slice 5 or 6 apples and add a generous splash of lemon juice. Mix the bread and apples with 3/4 cups of coconut sugar, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, a pinch of cloves and a pinch of allspice. Add 1/4 cup of raisins (I only had a few so I substituted dried blueberries) and 1/2 cup of nuts (I used pecans). 

In a small bowl mix 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, two eggs, and 1 1/4 cups milk. Mix well. Pour the liquid into the bread and combine until all the bread is soft and saturated. Put into a rectangular cooking dish. Bake at 375 degrees 30-40 minutes until top is browned and apples are soft. Enjoy!

No comments: