Saturday, April 30, 2022

With Food Prices Rising and Shortages Possible in the Future, I'm Practicing Foraging

Dandelions! Yes they are dandy and edible as long as you don't use weed killer in your yard. We've never put anything on our property in 20 years! So today I decided to go foraging in my abundant dandelion crop. Everything about the dandelion is edible: the flowers, the leaves, even the roots. You can read about eating dandelions here.

I'm making salad tonight and will add a heaping helping of dandelion greens. They are incredibly nutritious. 


The little dandelion "fritters" I made will be the "crouton" topping. 






I'm not doing the roots...at least not yet. They are more labor intensive to prepare. I'll leave that for another day. But these are delicious ways to use dandelions. Give it a try. I suspect the grandkids would enjoy dipping the fritters in syrup or honey. Just don't tell them what they're eating until they beg for more!

I read once about a prisoner in one of Hitler's concentration camps coming back from the day's forced work to see a dandelion and plan to "harvest" it to supplement the meager rations they received. Think of this little treasure plant as a life saver. There may come a day when it really is!



3 comments:

geoff kiernan said...

Looks like what we call a dandelion down here is different to what you call a dandelion up there.

Mary Ann Kreitzer said...

Where are you from? And what do your dandelions look like?

ProLIFEmommy said...

Brings back memories of my dear uncle’s (a priest who passed away in 2017) stories he fondly told me of eating dandelion soup his mother made during the depression. Wish I had asked him that recipe.