Monday, November 13, 2017

Crockpot Lasagna for the Busy Mom (or Grandmom)

Leftovers going fast! Glad I made a lot.
I haven't made lasagna in years. Too much trouble. So when I came across a recipe in Slow Cooker Creations, I decided to try it. I tend to fiddle with recipes which I did. I never have tomato paste so I nixed that ingredient and went for spaghetti sauce instead. Even with that, the recipe got too dry as it cooked, so I added more sauce about four hours into the cooking time when the noodles on top appeared to be drying out. I decided the cooking time needed to be seriously reduced and the liquid increased. I mean, really, everything is already cooked before you start so does it really need SEVEN HOURS to finish? I also fiddled with the herbs since I like more oregano. I also added cumin.


So here's my crockpot lasagna variation. Keep in mind that I haven't done it a second time yet, so this may change a bit yet. Everyone at the table had at least two helpings and one granddaughter had four! I think she has hollow legs!

Grandma's Crockpot Lasagna   

Fill a dutch oven with water and salt lightly (optional), then bring to a boil. Add 8-10 lasagna noodles broken up into 3 or 4 pieces. Boil for 12-14 minutes stirring occasionally.

While noodles boil add a little cooking oil to a large frying pan (I use olive oil) and heat gently. Add 1 1/2 pounds meat. I used a combination of ground turkey and sweet Italian sausage. Cook until no longer pink. You can drain if you're using beef. I did not since there wasn't much extra liquid. Combine meat with the following ingredients:

1 undrained can of diced tomatoes (14 oz)                          28 oz jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce 
1-2 cups cottage cheese (I want to try ricotta next time)     2 tsp sugar
1/2 a large onion diced                                                         1/2 tsp dried basil                         
1 tsp dried oregano                                                               garlic powder to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (added toward the end of cooking time)

Put in crockpot on low and cook about four hours. Check occasionally. If too dry add more spaghetti sauce.

1 comment:

ProLIFEmommy said...

Looks delicious! Have you tried making it a second time since then? With Ricotta? Wondering your thoughts now on this recipe. I need to start making new things for my family. Thank you for sharing it! God Bless you!